Thursday, May 26, 2011

My love of theatre knows no bounds

Settling into the balcony or orchestra, waiting with anticipation for the lights to go down and the curtain to go up ... all tantalize my senses with the hopes of another great theatre experience.

It began in high school with our school's productions of Guys and Dolls (which I wasn't in, sadly) and Lil' Abner (which I was in). I fell in love with the stage. Not so much being on it but seeing it unfold. I knew I was not an actor by any means. I had fun, sure, but it was not calling me to a career. I did know that my love affair with theatre would not end.

It did dwindle for a while as school got in the way. Then at the end of the summer in 2007 I took a trip to New York City with a friend and OF COURSE we had to go see something on Broadway. I was hoping to see Wicked but sadly those tickets were hard to come by and very expensive. Instead we saw Hairspray and Mary Poppins, both of which I loved. This time in a real theatre my addiction was born!




Then a year later I moved just north of Stratford, Ontario, home of the World Famous Stratford Shakespeare Festival where every year from April until October they put on 12 productions in 4 theatres. Of course there is Shakespeare every year but also musicals, Canadian playwrights and stage classics. It is truly a feast for the theatre-loving soul. And I fell hard.




I've lived here for almost 3 years now and I have been to see almost every Stratford production since, many more than once as they are just that good! I will look back and reminisce on the ones from seasons past and I will post after each show this season.

I am in no way affiliated with the Stratford Shakespeare festival other than that I am a devoted fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment